Monday, March 5, 2012

Leptin RX Experiment

Food, exercise, body image, health, vitality, mortality, eat this and you'll die, don't eat that and you'll die, this diet works, no it doesn't that one does, eat six times a day, intermittent fasting is the way to go, walking is as good as running, you're running all wrong ...

I'm tired of it all, and yet, I'm bone tired in general. And sick of being sick. So I'm going to try something, and I'm going to use this site to record my progress.

You know when you hear someone say they've tried everything to lose weight? I'm not going to say that here, because it's bullshit. It's always bullshit when someone says that, because their "try" is a couple of days of half-assed compliance, I guarantee. The eating and exercise program that works is the one you'll do, and if you didn't do it for at least a month, you didn't try it. So I'm calling myself out and everyone else - don't say you've tried everything. Just don't.

I did the Whole30 in January 2012 and it was very interesting. I learned a lot about my emotional eating responses, saw the inflammation water weight fall off, and generally felt better. Unfortunately, I am an idiot, and when Super Bowl Sunday rolled around, I jumped right on with the crap eating and spent all of February telling myself that I really needed to get back on track.

I do not want to do the Whole30 again, though. Instead, I'm going to try what worked for this guy, Jack Kruse, and go with the Leptin Prescription.

In a nutshell, here's the rules (and keep in mind that the eating plan is low carb Paleo, which by default is pretty much Whole30 but I'm going to dial back fruit):

A. Never snack at all. This is meant initially and forever. Snacking completely stresses the liver’s metabolism and is just not recommended. Your liver needs to re-learn how to use gluconeogenesis normally again when you are asleep and awake. Snacking just destroys the timing and circadian clocks that work in unison with Leptin.
B. Try to eat three meals a day initially; but as your hunger and cravings fade you can adapt to two a day.
C. Try to eat breakfast as early as possible from rising.
D. Do not work out before or after breakfast.
E. Try to allow 4-5 hours between dinners and sleep time.
F. If you decide to incorporate working out, do it after 5 PM.
G. Within an hour of sunset try to make your surroundings as dark as possible.
H. If you have trouble falling asleep I suggest 3-5 minutes of body weight exercises right before bed (pushups or air squats are fine, but avoid this if your PM cortisol is high).
I. If you’re inclined to, try becoming mindful when you first lay down. I use transcendental meditation techniques to help me clear my mind and concentrate on improving my thinking. (Optional; but this is awesome if your PM cortisol is high).

There are a few other caveats - aim for 50 grams of protein for breakfast, which is a huge amount. No protein shakes, they're full of garbage. Black coffee only (which means no coffee for me, essentially). And for the first month or so, no aerobic workouts.

That last one's going to be the hardest for me. I'm used to working out at least five days a week, from 30-60 minutes a day, either running or stationary bike. But I also know in my heart that it hasn't been working for me - I'm getting up too early, doing too much cardio, and feeling worn down. Exercise should make me stronger, not weaker.

So here we go ...

No comments:

Post a Comment